Forum dedicated to discussion of articles posted in Home page of Pro_News
Svara på inläggetSvara på inlägget
Gå till sida Föregående  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Nästa 

31 Dec '69 Tis Jul 07, 2009 10:01    
layingback
Site Admin  
  •  

Inlägg Re: Pro_News version 3.2: Lots of Improvement

Actual, I don't think any of these reasons pass muster! You can achieve most of this via existing DF module and group access privileges.

But despite this I *may* implement!

Why? 'Cos this is the reason for adding it: To allow different Submit Article privileges per Section!

And the "trusted group" post without approval option should still work as is, as I don't believe it differentiates between a new post or edit. At least it shouldn't.

- masino_sinaga

If you add this new option in config page, I am definitely sure that this Pro_News module would be the best news module ever in DragonflyCMS ever!!! Moreover there will be many users will support this module by making various templates file... and... this module can be used as one of the core modules in DragonflyCMS version 10. Cool

Yeah, right! Blinka There have been no templates added until yourself and fishingfan, and perhaps yourself, recently in oh, how many years? :-O

It will never be part of DF 10 or any other version, for numerous reasons. But I'm OK with that, because it is too much module for the newbie admin. The support costs would be huge. And would make DF seem more complex than it is / needs to be. Much better for user to cut their teeth on News, then upgrade if necessary. Plus such variety allows for a site to have News and Pro_News, e.g. former for news news, and Pro_News for articles.

But don't let me stop you from promoting it! Leende

layingback's server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS)

2.6.32 / 1.3 - 2.4 / 5.5 - 5.6 / 5.4 - 5.5 / 9.4

31 Dec '69 Tis Jul 07, 2009 12:16    
masino_sinaga
Developer  Developer
  •  

- layingback

... But despite this I *may* implement!

Why? 'Cos this is the reason for adding it: To allow different Submit Article privileges per Section!

Oh my God! How can I forgot to mention that reason??? Skrattande Blinka

- layingback

Yeah, right! Blinka There have been no templates added until yourself and fishingfan, and perhaps yourself, recently in oh, how many years? :-O

Don't worry, I will try to help you providing any other new templates, especially the two column or side by side template. Blinka

- layingback

It will never be part of DF 10 or any other version, for numerous reasons. But I'm OK with that, because it is too much module for the newbie admin. The support costs would be huge. And would make DF seem more complex than it is / needs to be. Much better for user to cut their teeth on News, then upgrade if necessary. Plus such variety allows for a site to have News and Pro_News, e.g. former for news news, and Pro_News for articles.

But don't let me stop you from promoting it! Leende

Sure! I will try to help you overspread this great module to the world, shall I? Cool

Best regards,
Masino Sinaga

masino_sinaga's server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS)

Linux / 2.2.11 (Unix) / 5.0.77-community- log / 5.2.9 / 9.2.1

31 Dec '69 Mån Jul 13, 2009 20:54    
layingback
Site Admin  
  •  

Update on Related Articles:

I've dropped the text input field (as promised Blinka ), but enhanced the selection process by adding a by-Category selection. When initially editing an article the list will be the current Category (or perhaps 'None' - I still have to decide). After selecting or not selecting articles, the Category can be changed, and new/more articles selected.

The current list of selected articles always displays above, so you can always see what's selected. The tricky bit was showing the already selected articles in a Category, if any, checked but grated out, so your array code doesn't see the same one twice. (See attached.) They can still be deselected by doing so in the already selected upper part.

Preview of Related Article links has been successfully debugged too.

Also as suggested I've disabled Related Article selection from user side. For support reasons, and to limit db activity as Admin is usually limited to just 1 user. That is Config only allows Off (0) which it will default to, or Admin Only (2). But code is written such that if you set the relevant cms_config_custom field to 1 directly in the db, then it will work on the user side, and Config will reflect it in its display. (Although I still have to port my changes over to functions.php.)

I also now finally have pagination of Admin articles page appearing at bottom of page.

So on to rosbif/fishingfan stuff...

ps. I'm expecting you 3 guys to beta test this one for me! There have been a few potentially big changes to process logic flow, so it may need it!!!

Oh, and Social Network links is now up above 35! Rullande ögon

31 Dec '69 Tis Jul 14, 2009 03:13    
masino_sinaga
Developer  Developer
  •  

This is really really great news and thanks so much for the wonderful job that you have done especially to improve the related article feature! Cool

- layingback

... So on to rosbif/fishingfan stuff...

ps. I'm expecting you 3 guys to beta test this one for me! There have been a few potentially big changes to process logic flow, so it may need it!!!

Oh, and Social Network links is now up above 35! Rullande ögon

Sure! I would love to. Where can we download this last version in order we can beta test it?

Looking forward to hearing you soon. Thanks.

Best regards,
Masino Sinaga

31 Dec '69 Tis Jul 14, 2009 06:38    
rosbif
BetaTester  BetaTester
  •  

Not sure I understand the related articles bit but will be happy to test when it's up! I'm away for a couple of weeks from tomorrow but will be able to put some time into it when I get back...

Don't waste all the good weather coding though!

rosbif's server specs (Server OS / Apache / MySQL / PHP / DragonflyCMS)

Linux/2.2.11/4.1.22/5.2.17/9.3.4.1

31 Dec '69 Tis Jul 14, 2009 06:50    
masino_sinaga
Developer  Developer
  •  

- rosbif

Not sure I understand the related articles bit but will be happy to test when it's up! I'm away for a couple of weeks from tomorrow but will be able to put some time into it when I get back...

Don't waste all the good weather coding though!

Since this related article feature I proposed for the first time to the version 3.1 become 3.2, allow me to explain a little bit about it.

"Related Articles" means that you may have one or more another article that related to the article, especially when you want to submit a new article.

Let's say you already have 10 articles in your database. When you submit the new article (it is the 11th article), then on the bottom of your submit article form, you may able to select one or more article that related to the article that you want to submit.

Afterward, you can see on the bottom of the 11th article page, the related article(s) that you have choosen before; represented by the Title and Date the article sent, plus the link on it, and when you click the link, you can open then that related article.

This feature is a common thing in News module of CMS. Cheers!

Best regards,
Masino Sinaga

31 Dec '69 Tis Jul 14, 2009 06:58    
layingback
Site Admin  
  •  

rosbif, Look at almost any article on masino_sinaga's site and you'll see the Related Article links at the bottom (of the full article).

2 weeks sounds about right, as I've got other things to do beside code.

What good weather? You're much farther south remember!

31 Dec '69 Tis Jul 14, 2009 07:45    
rosbif
BetaTester  BetaTester
  •  

Will look forward to it!

Was thinking about the publish in home option too. Don't suppose it'd possible to use the date function to have a 'publish in home until' option? Was just thinking that I could publish a news story about an event say; I'd then be able to publish that in home until the date of the event and then it would automatically just return to being a normal article that would appear in the articles list but not in home. I guess that sort of means like the news archive we have with news now.

31 Dec '69 Tis Jul 14, 2009 08:10    
layingback
Site Admin  
  •  

rosbif, That does seem a stretch! Would be better to add to existing Schedule I think, but i'm still not sure of the ui design. Will take on advisement.

31 Dec '69 Tis Jul 14, 2009 08:16    
rosbif
BetaTester  BetaTester
  •  

Man of your calibre and all that! Blinka

31 Dec '69 Tis Jul 14, 2009 08:51    
layingback
Site Admin  
  •  

masino_sinaga,

You don't, by any chance, happen to know JavaScript/ECMAscript do you?

If so there is something I could do with some help with... Blinka

I'll post to a new Forum thread, here, as this one is getting rather long already ...

31 Dec '69 Ons Jul 15, 2009 17:11    
layingback
Site Admin  
  •  

rosbif,

I've implemented a tri-state Display in Home feature, as I don't think the simple either-or used in News will fully accomplish your goal.

The following is available in Admin > Submit Article only (not on the user side):

New option 'Display in Home' with 3 choices

• Yes
  • No
  • Home ONLY

The first 2 should be obvious and match News. The default, and the setting for all existing articles, will be 'Yes'. 'Home ONLY' will display the Intro/Headline if on a "Home" page, but will not display under Pro_News Section/Category list for example.

Action at runtime affects only the Intro/Headlines and thus the availability of the links to the full articles. The actual full articles will always display at any time if you have a link for it, regardless of the setting of 'Display in Home.'

The above is replicated for Center Block Content.

Article counts, ie. in Section/Category display, will include all articles regardless on Display in Home setting.

31 Dec '69 Tor Jul 16, 2009 09:21    
layingback
Site Admin  
  •  

OK, the limiting posting by user class/group wasn't too hard.

There's a new Post option in Section, similar to View and Admin. And when Submitting an Article from the user side, any section which doesn't have the right access privileges is not listed/selectable in the pull-down menu.

Just need to check out a few things, and I might be done.

I propose releasing this to beta, just as soon as I can, and then if masino_sinaga can validate his changes for dual columns the against new version (3.2) and zip them back to me asap, I'll see if I can't include those in before release too.

31 Dec '69 Fre Jul 17, 2009 13:44    
layingback
Site Admin  
  •  

Early version up for testing in Downloads area. I've not really finished testing, although I think it all works, and I have a couple of things I may still work on, but enough to get you guys up and running I hope.

It is set as 3.2.0.1, so should upgrade OK on everyone site, including masino's.

Let me know, and masino, let me have the dual column fix as soon as...

Thanks!

31 Dec '69 Mån Jul 20, 2009 08:46    
layingback
Site Admin  
  •  

How are you guys progressing?

I've added the resize of oversized uploaded images to a Config supplied value (default 800) ready for the next version. (Note that use of extra large image resizes may require raising the php.ini memory_limit from its default value of 8MB. The failure mode is unfortunate - a blank screen - but nothing I can do about that.)

And I've found out how to 'hide' the lower part of the Submit screen using CSS and Javascript - but I haven't got it working yet.

Link  QR 
Share this Utskriftsvänlig sida  facebook   google+   linkedin   twitthis  
Show more ...